Sunday, March 12, 2017

Woah

"Woah" by Zoe Madison Waller (that's me!!)
 I was very excited last year to learn about the upcoming pop up book exhibit at the Sandy Gallery in Oregon. I was so intrigued at the opportunity to create and submit an original handmade pop up book of mine for this exhibit, that I got to work creating one before my college winter break was over.I ended up with a single handmade book consisting of paper pop-ups paired with a single shower thought, on each page. I searched for hours to find facts obscure enough to put in my book, and I finally came across reddit.com. It was here that I found many people communicating their most profound thoughts discovered in the shower, and they were all just so great. Just to give a glimpse of one: "I wonder how many places I've visited for the last time." The idea here is that these thoughts are short and simple, but really make you think. I won't give away the whole book, but I assure you that I picked the most interesting and relateable 'thoughts'. That's really my thing with my books, I don't see a point in making them if no one can understand what I'm communicating.
Yes, this is a mouth - and it pops up!
 Well, as you probably guessed, I was accepted into the exhibit! These fabulous shots that I took with photographer John Woo did not go to waste. I had a lot of fun making this book especially because it gave me a serious opportunity to explore my pop up making chops, and to kind of push those limits.
This pop up required a solid reflection, so I used mirror paper. Who knew there was such a thing?

This exhibit "Pop Up Now II" had catalogs made. Here is my page in the catalog!

My artistically talented aunt, Kyra Hicks, was also in this exhibit. Her submission was a brochure that asks 'how many African-American themed pop up books you can name'.



1 comment:

Comments