Saturday, July 8, 2017

✉ George and the Envelope ✉


The late and great Judge George William Crockett, Jr. on an envelope!
             My great-grandfather died when I was two years old, so I did not get to know him. His name was George William Crockett, Jr. and he was a remarkable man. He helped opened the first known interracial law firm, he became a judge, and he eventually became a U.S. Congressman for the state of Michigan. To this day he has a charter school for grades K-8, named after him, in Detroit, Michigan. Detroit, Michigan is also the place where Judge Crockett is known to have centered his advocacy for equal rights and civil rights, before, during, and after the Civil Rights Movement. My great-grandfather did many praiseworthy things in his lifetime, which many of them you can read on his Wikipedia page. I am so honored to be a descendant of his.
             The reason for my posting this is that I turned his face into art. My family has taken and kept many photographs over the years, including ones of my great-grandfather, Judge Crockett. It also helps our record-keeping that he was in newspapers so many times. In being the family historian, I had the chance to come across some cool office supplies and a Polaroid picture strip that my great-grandfather must have taken at some point. I think that this long strip of the same repeated photograph is just so artsy. When I told my grandmother that I had come across my great-grandfather's (her father's) things that could still be used today, she right away wanted some keepsakes. So I decided to imprint the image of her father on the envelope that I would use to send her the stuff I found. I used just a home inkjet printer to imprint the photograph onto an envelope. I taught myself this trick when I was working on my "Furry Friend Fright" book recently. This is also how I printed the inked title onto the fabric of the book cover. It just involves taping the envelope onto a piece of regular copy paper, while copying the image from the scanner. You need a printer that has a scanner. I just think it looks so cool. And what better way to honor my great-grandfather than to cement his face onto an envelope. He's never looked better.
The Google results to searching for my great-grandfather, Judge George William Crockett, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments