Tuesday, July 5, 2016

The Mirror of Youth






           
            Judge me not on this one, folks. At the very last minute, I decided to create a one-of-a-kind goodbye card for a dear friend who is moving away. My first idea was to make kind of a combination card, with the words and a pop-up at the end or the beginning. But I had under two hours to see them, so that idea was cast aside. I instead made my idea simpler, by turning the pop-up idea and card idea into two separate things. The pop up idea was relatively easy for me. This friend happens to strongly resemble the actor Samuel L. Jackson, so I knew I had to include that. The tricky part was making a sliding mechanism that works properly. Mine did, though it did take a proper beating with the Scotch tape. What happens is, at first you see a mirror and a pull tab next to it with a note to 'pull it.' When the tab is pulled, Sam Jackson's face appears! Trust me that with the context, it's hilarious. I really love this card that I've created. The folded card pictured at the top is a folding design that I'm very familiar with. I used it for my "I Didn't Know That" pop-up book a few years ago, but it never gets old. I love that it folds flat, but opens up in such a beautiful way. This was hands-down the most beautiful card fold I could create in an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments