Monday, January 7, 2019

♥ The Black Victorian ♥






           I loved this tissue box cover (tbc) design from the moment I saw it online. Design credit for this stunning needlepoint pattern goes to Laura Doyle. The moment I had the money to purchase the pattern, I did just that! This tbc design is unique because it is made with 14-mesh, which is rather small. It is so small in fact, that the holes on this mesh are not squares, but circles. Using such a small needle, I pricked myself more than a few times.
          The woman on all four sides of this box is originally a white woman, from (presumably) Victorian times. She's got the Victorian fan and outfit going - in fact this pattern is paired with a coaster pattern that is shaped like a Victorian fan. I recently received the comment that faces of woman of color don't get enough air time in my work. So I dedicated myself to making this a gorgeous black woman, by changing all of the listed yarn skin tones. I even gave her an older haircut by making her hair a pretty gray. Admittedly, in order to have a wide range of yarn colors, this woman had to be of a lighter complexion. But I think she is gorgeous and gives any other Victorian era ladies a run for their makeup bags! This tbc currently sits in my room, for I am having trouble parting with it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments